Monday, April 26, 2010

Counting the characters dynamically inside a textarea and setting a limit

Here is the Code

<html>
<head>
<title>(Type a title for your page here)</title>

<script language=JavaScript>
<!--
function check_length(my_form)
{
maxLen = 50; // max number of characters allowed
if (my_form.my_text.value.length >= maxLen) {
// Alert message if maximum limit is reached.
// If required Alert can be removed.
var msg = "You have reached your maximum limit of characters allowed";
alert(msg);
// Reached the Maximum length so trim the textarea
my_form.my_text.value = my_form.my_text.value.substring(0, maxLen);
}
else{ // Maximum length not reached so update the value of my_text counter
my_form.text_num.value = maxLen - my_form.my_text.value.length;}
}
//-->
</script>

</head>

<body>
<form name=my_form method=post>
<textarea onKeyPress=check_length(this.form); onKeyDown=check_length(this.form); name=my_text rows=4 cols=30></textarea>
<br>
<input size=1 value=50 name=text_num> Characters Left
</form>

</body>
</html>


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers